[SciPy-dev] Error building from svn on Intel Macs.

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri May 30 17:12:42 EDT 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Viral Shah
<vshah at interactivesupercomputing.com> wrote:
> I am using an Intel Mac, and trying to build scipy following the
> instructions at: http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X
>
> I was able to successfully build numpy (from svn) without any extra
> configuration. For scipy, even though I have installed the gfortran
> compiler, setup doesn't seem to like the fact that I have 4.2.3. I am
> using gcc 4.0.1 that is supplied by Apple. I get the following:
>
> customize G95FCompiler
> customize GnuFCompiler
> customize Gnu95FCompiler
> Couldn't match compiler version for 'GNU Fortran (GCC)
> 4.2.3\nCopyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.\n\nGNU
> Fortran comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.\nYou
> may redistribute copies of GNU Fortran\nunder the terms of the GNU
> General Public License.\nFor more information about these matters, see
> the file named COPYING\n'
>
> After searching around on scipy-dev, I resorted to doing this:
>
> $ python setup.py config_fc --fcompiler=gnu95 build
>
> That allowed me to get further, but left me with the following error
> that I don't understand. I can help update the instructions page with
> info about compilers, if I can get this process working. Thanks in
> advance.

Please provide the full output. The error that you see is a result of
a failure to correctly configure the Fortran compiler earlier. The
current numpy SVN should be able to handle the version string you give
above.

In [37]: from numpy.distutils.fcompiler import gnu

In [38]: fc = gnu.Gnu95FCompiler()

In [39]: v =  'GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.2.3\nCopyright (C) 2007 Free
Software Foundation, Inc.\n\nGNU Fortran comes with NO WARRANTY, to
the extent permitted by law.\nYou may redistribute copies of GNU
Fortran\nunder the terms of the GNU General Public License.\nFor more
information about these matters, see the file named COPYING\n'

In [40]: print v
GNU Fortran (GCC) 4.2.3

GNU Fortran comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
You may redistribute copies of GNU Fortran
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING

In [41]: fc.version_match(v)
Out[41]: '4.2.3'

--
Robert Kern