[SciPy-dev] ANN: NumPy/SciPy Documentation Marathon 2008

Scott Sinclair sinclaird at ukzn.ac.za
Wed May 21 06:10:32 EDT 2008

Hi,

My user name registered on the Wiki is ScottSinclair.

I can offer to review and edit (items 2 & 3 below) and will also have a go at a few docstrings and doctests (items 1 & 4).

Cheers,
Scott

>>> Joe Harrington <jh at physics.ucf.edu> 05/17/08 7:45 AM >>>
	   NUMPY/SCIPY DOCUMENTATION MARATHON 2008

<snip...>

There are several ways you can help:

1. Write some docstrings on the wiki!  Many people can do this, many
more than can write code for the package itself.  However, you must
know numpy, the function group, and the function you are writing well.
You should be familiar with the concept of a reference page and write
in that concise style.  We'll do tutorial docs in another project at a
later date.  See the instructions on the wiki for guidelines and
format.

2. Review others' docstrings and leave comments on their wiki pages.

3. Proofread docstrings.  Make sure they are correct, complete, and
concise.  Fix grammar.

4. Write examples ("doctests").  Even if you are not a top-notch
English writer, you can help by producing a code snippet of a few
lines that demonstrates a function.  It is fine for them to go into
the docstring templates before the actual text.

5. Write a new help function that optionally produces ASCII or points
the user's PDF or HTML reader to the right page (either local or
global).

6. If you are in a position to hire someone, such as a knowledgeable
student or short-term consultant, hire them to work on the tasks above
for the summer.  We can provide supervision to them or guidance to you
if you like.

The home for this project is here:

http://scipy.org/Developer_Zone/DocMarathon2008

This is not a sprint.  It is a marathon, and this time we are going to
finish.  We hope you will join us!
Please find our Email Disclaimer here: http://www.ukzn.ac.za/disclaimer/