[SciPy-dev] Splitting sparsetools: tahnk you

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 13:33:49 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 8:28 AM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
>     I saw yesterday that you split the sparsetools module: the max
>  memory usage during build is now half of what used to be necessary,
>  thank you very much for your effort,

I'm glad it to hear that.

In addition to the concerns you raised, I realized that sparsetools.h
was a bit too large itself.

At some point I will want to reintroduce the unrolled variants of
bsr_matvec and bsr_matmat.  If these template-heavy functions cause
similar problems for you, let me know and we'll figure something out.

Ideally we would generate the SWIG interface files and wrappers
dynamically.  We could then automatically create interface files on a
per function basis (if need be) without polluting the repository.

E.g. csr_foo() -> csr_foo.i -> csr_foo_wrap.cxx

In this case csr_foo.i consists of only a few lines, much like csr.i
or dia.i do now.

I wouldn't recommend this approach yet, since few people have SWIG
installed and even fewer have the most recent SWIG installed (which is
necessary on some platforms).  Perhaps in a year or so.

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~wnbell/