[SciPy-dev] scipy.optimize.nonlin.broyden2

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Thu Mar 20 17:47:58 EDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 4:12 PM, argriffi <argriffi at ncsu.edu> wrote:
> I've been using a packaged scipy release, and I just checked out the svn
>  scipy trunk but haven't used or modified it yet.  What is the best way
>  to manage the two installations so that by default my scripts use the
>  official release, but so that I can alternatively use the svn version by
>  specifying it somehow?

Maybe there are other ways how to deal with this, but I do:

./setup install --home=/some/path

everytime I change something - it takes just a while to do it if you
only modify python files.

And then you add /some/path into your PYTHONPATH - just temporarily.

>  I also have a question about the proposed eps argument for broyden2.
>  Could this be named more descriptively?  For example, I have seen small
>  values named rel_tol and abs_tol for relative and absolute tolerance in
>  other contexts.  If eps has a meaningful interpretation in broyden2 then
>  maybe it should be named more appropriately.

Absolutely, name it more appropriate. That was just a general
suggestion from me how to do things.

Ondrej