[SciPy-dev] Google Summer of Code and scipy.learn (another trying)

Carlos da Silva Santos carlos.s.santos at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 07:39:27 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Anton Slesarev
<slesarev.anton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Scipy support work with sparse matrix. It is true. But I mean that learn
> should support sparse format in parsers. To learn svm it should be enough to
> use syntax like:
>
> data = LoadSparseData('data.file')
> s = svm()
> s.train(data)
>
> I hope to implement such kind of syntax. User needn't know what exactly data
> is. He should just use it.

I have no first hand experience with it, but apparently the Shogun
toolbox provides some support for sparse data. From their homepage:

http://www.shogun-toolbox.org/
"The machine learning toolbox's focus is on large scale kernel methods
and especially on Support Vector Machines (SVM) [1]. It provides a
generic SVM object interfacing to several different SVM
implementations, among them the state of the art LibSVM [2], SVMLight,
[3] SVMLin [4] and GPDT [5]. Each of the SVMs can be combined with a
variety of kernels.
The input feature-objects can be dense, sparse or strings and of type
int/short/double/char and can be converted into different feature
types. Chains of preprocessors (e.g. substracting the mean) can be
attached to each feature object allowing for on-the-fly
pre-processing.

SHOGUN is implemented in C++ and interfaces to Matlab(tm), R, Octave
and Python."

I hope this helps.

Carlos