[SciPy-dev] time to import scipy?

Anne Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 22:52:05 EDT 2008

On 11/03/2008, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

>  > 1) Is there anything I can do to speed up the import of scipy?
>  >

> Where is scipy (and its dependencies) installed ? Is it on NFS (or slow
>  filesystem, usb, etc...) ? If so, putting it locally could be a huge win.

Linking time may be an issue as well. Do the "prelink" tools for C
libraries help at all with scipy? Or, how much of the load time is
libraries?

For the OP: is python perhaps recompiling the .py files every time?
Normally python produces a .pyc to accompany every .py file, but if
the installation directory is not writeable, this may not be possible.
Normally installation of python packages premakes all these files, but
if you have installed it in some unusual fashion, they could be
missing.

Anne