[SciPy-dev] building SciPy for CentOS 5

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Mar 11 09:58:33 EDT 2008

Joseph VanAndel wrote:
> I built ATLAS from source (using the ashigabou FC 7 SRPMS), using
> gfortran 4.1.2

If I remember well, I forced using gfortran for FC 7.

> Is the ashigabou SRPM supposed to provide 'cblas'?
Not really, because it is not needed. The problem is that ATLAS is
basically impossible to build in a reproducible way, so I do not provide
binary rpm. The idea was that you install RPM for scipy, and then build
ATLAS from the SRPM on your machine, which can be used as a drop-in by
scipy (ATLAS is picked up instead of BLAS/LAPACK at runtime).

> Should I use http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net instead?
It is your choice, but using the rpms is way easier. I have not tested
on CENTOS, what is the difference between FC and CENTOS ? I built those
rpms, but I do not use those distributions, so I do not necessarily know
how to do thing the right way.

> How do I specify which fortran compiler is used to build scipy?
This will force using gfortran:

python setup.py build --fcompiler=gnu95

But this is taken care of by the scipy RPMS on ashigabou....

> I've attached the scipy log file.
The log is incomplete: you should give us a complete log (that is, with
the build directory deleted first), because otherwise, most info are not
there.

cheers,

David