[SciPy-dev] Splitting sparsetools_wrap source file ?

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Mon Mar 10 09:14:59 EDT 2008

Nathan Bell wrote:

> Splitting the file into multiple parts does reduce the memory usage,
> but not by the expected fraction.  Aside from manually splitting the
> SWIG output into multiple files (which would be tedious, time
> consuming, and error-prone), I'm not sure how to remedy the situation.

This is obviously a bad solution (splitting the generated swig file),
and a nightmare to get right. I was more thinking about splitting the
interface file, so that only a couple of functions are generated by
each: this should be doable, no ? I can do it, if there is a chance for
a patch to be included. There would be say N swig interface files (one
for _diagonal, one for _scale, etc...), and sparsetools.py itself would
be written manually, but would just import python functions from each
generated python modules, that is would be a few lines only (I bet this
python module could easily be generated, too, if wanted).
> In the era of $25/GB RAM, is it not more expedient to simply increase
> your memory capacity?  Using SWIG and C++ templates is a major
> convenience in sparsetools since adding new dtypes becomes trivial.

I am not suggesting giving up swig or C++ templates. But the problem is
not the cost of memory: when virtual machines came into the game, you
hit really quickly the 32 bits limits (or more exactly, the fact that
most computers cannot physically handle more than 4 Gb of Memory). For
example, when I test numscons on solaris, I use indiana, which is a
binary distribution of open solaris available for free, and the VM takes
more than 1 Gb of ram when compiling sparsetools. Even on my recent
macbook with 2 Gb of Ram, I am at the limit. And virtual machines are
the only way for me to test many platforms (and build bots too often run
on vmware).

cheers,

David