[SciPy-dev] Splitting sparsetools_wrap source file ?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 00:36:32 EST 2008

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 10:52 PM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>  >
>  > Bascially, no. You would have to split up the extension module itself,
>  > and that could be difficult. sparsetools_wrap.cxx is generated by
>  > SWIG.
>  >
>  >
>  I know it is generated by swig. But from a quick look to the swig
>  interface file, it looks like sparsetools is just a bunch of utilities
>  functions, which could be split up, no ? For example, one swig generated
>  file per function should be possible, without too much trouble ? Sorry
>  if this is stupid, I have not been using swig for a while, so I do not
>  remember how it works.

If anything that would just exacerbate the problem. All of the SWIG
utility functions would be repeated for each module. In any case, I
split the file into 2 and the total time for compiling both is about
the same as as compiling the current sparsetools_wrap.cxx. This would
be a win for parallel builds, but until numscons is the official build
system, I'm against making changes as invasive as splitting up an
extension module just to optimize for that.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco