[SciPy-dev] bvls license

Alan Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Wed Mar 5 11:00:24 EST 2008

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, dmitrey wrote:
> http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/general/bvls

OK, here is the situation.  It turns out that
BVLS was previously released under GPL v.2 to the R project.
The authors are happy to have it available under that license.

However, they also appear willing to consider LGPL and
possibly BSD if that would be helpful.  I would need to be
able to tell them how it would be helpful.  Could someone
better versed in SciPy/licenses interactions help here?

This is what I think.

GPL code can be used in SciKits but not in SciPy proper.
If so, is it desirable/important that this code be available in SciPy proper?

Finally, one author added the following statement:

    "I would be happy to license it under anything that
    keeps attribution to Bob and me and that keeps the code
    intact."

I do not really know what this means.  The GPL itself makes
no commitment to keep the code "intact", right?  Can
I address this concern in any way?

Thank you,
Alan Isaac