[SciPy-dev] Building numpy/scipy on RHEL5 OR CentOS5

Michael Hearne mhearne at usgs.gov
Wed Jun 25 09:34:05 EDT 2008

My apologies to everyone - I figured out the problem.  I was performing
the build procedure as myself, after setting UMFPACK="None", but using
sudo to install.  It didn't occur to me until just now that running as
root meant that my environment variable wouldn't be visible in the root
shell.  Duh.

That being said, can I make a suggestion that setup.py for scipy take an
option that can turn UMFPACK off, instead of the user having to remember
to do it in the shell, and causing him or herself the same sort of
confusion I just caused?

It would also be great to have a less convoluted build procedure for
BLAS/LAPACK, but I'll take one thing at a time.

Also, since Phil seems not to have to set this variable, is there
something I can provide developers that would help them understand why
my RHEL5 system seems to require that I set it?

Thanks for everyone's help,

Mike Hearne

Phil Austin wrote:
> Michael Hearne wrote:
>> Phil et. al. - I believe that you and probably others do not have
>> this problem, but I continue to have it.  I just downloaded the most
>> recent svn version of scipy and re-attempted the build and install.
>> The build was successful, but the install complained about ufmpack.
>>

> Just to be sure I understand -- when you say the build was successful,
> does that mean that during the build you see:
>
>>> UserWarning:
>>>     UMFPACK sparse solver
>>> (http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/umfpack/)
>>>     not found. Directories to search for the libraries can be
>>> specified in the
>>>     numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [umfpack]) or by setting
>>>     the UMFPACK environment variable.
>>>   warnings.warn(self.notfounderror.__doc__)
>>>   NOT AVAILABLE

Michael Hearne
mhearne at usgs.gov
(303) 273-8620
USGS National Earthquake Information Center
1711 Illinois St. Golden CO 80401
Senior Software Engineer
Synergetics, Inc.