[SciPy-dev] {Num, Sci}Py on 64bit Intel Macs with icc, ifort, mkl

Ulrik Günther ulrik at 42degreesoffreedom.com
Wed Jun 11 13:01:33 EDT 2008

Hi David,

first, thanks for your fast reply.
> Yes, normally you can disable one lib with an environment variable
> (such
> as MKL=None will disable MKL even if detected), but this is not
> implemented for the Accelerate framework, from quickly looking at the
> sources.
Yeah, noticed that also. Accelerate is checked first with no option to
disable it :/

> Solving the Accelerate framework problem should be relatively easy:
> look
> at numpy/distutils/system_info.py.  The link problems, I don't know,
> since you have not given enough details for them.
The problem is, when compiling/linking, for example, multiarray.so,
the compiler spits
out many not found symbols, primarily due to not appending -framework
Python to the
compiling options. The problem can be solved be manually compiling the
file, while appending
the respective option (along with -undefined dynamic_lookup, as _main
is not found else, which
may also be a Fortran-compiler related problem, so maybe -no-formain
for the ifort is more
appropriate than using dynamic lookups...)

> The numpy build
> process is based on the python package distutils: distutils is a
> really
> badly designed piece of code,
I noticed that on several occasions ;)

> and extremely fragile to changes (it is
> one more proof that you can write Fortran in any language) and jumping
> in is not easy.
>
> I personally would be interested in supporting this configuration with
> my own project numscons, which is a tentative to circumvent distutils
> limitations to build numpy and scipy.
I already looked into the SCons version, but I was not sure about its
state in the project, as
there is no really information on the website. In fact, my currently
running version of 64bit
{Num,Sci}py was built using the SCons branch, with a bit of patching
around.

Could you please tell me what I need now for using the SCons branch?
Updating my old version
via svn up didn't work, so the first thing I thought was that it has
been discontinued. I'm very
glad to hear that this is not the case. If I manage to get a working
build on my configuration,
may I direct to patches to you?

Thanks,

ulrik