[SciPy-dev] NNLS

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 17:11:24 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 15:59, Alan G Isaac <aisaac at american.edu> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:40, Uwe Schmitt <uschmitt at mineway.de> wrote:
>>> I'm new to this mailing list.
>>> I just wraped NNLS (non negative least sqaures) from NETLIB using
>>> ctypes and want to ask if anybody is interested in my code ?
>>> As far as I know scipy does not contain this algorithm.
>
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Robert Kern apparently wrote:
>> I am reluctant to include Lawson and Hanson's code into scipy without
>> a clear copyright statement and license which allows us to do so.
>> Perhaps their book includes such a statement, but none of the actual
>> files containing their code do.
>
> Are the letters I forwarded last Sept not adequate in some
> way?

I wasn't aware that NNLS was included as part of TOMS 733's code. Now,
I'm not so sure that the ACM or the author of TOMS 733 actually had
the rights to give us a BSD license on the whole set of code. People
make mistakes. Find me a statement from Lawson or Hanson.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco