[SciPy-dev] scipy.splinalg or bust

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 22:06:02 EST 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 4:34 AM, Robert Cimrman <cimrman3 at ntc.zcu.cz> wrote:

> I will try to make a scikit of umfpack asap, keep it functional untill
> it is done, please.

Will do.

I've added LinearOperator and aslinearoperator() to SVN:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/browser/trunk/scipy/splinalg/interface.py

aslinearoperator() accepts all of the things that made sense for the
'A' parameter of the iterative solvers  (dense matrices, sparse
matrices, and objects with .shape and .matvec() attributes)

Take a look at it and let me know if you see any issues.

I included a dtype attribute in LinearOperator to take the place of
the xtype parameter of the iterative solvers.

Next on the TODO list:
   Update iterative solvers to use aslinearoperator()/LinearOperator
   Replace A.psolve with precond=M parameter  (where M is also a LinearOperator)
   Clean up MINRES translation:
       http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/browser/trunk/scipy/splinalg/isolve/minres.py

And possibly:
   Generalize the stopping criteria used by the iterative solvers

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~wnbell/