[SciPy-dev] Sparse BLAS in scipy

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 06:32:25 EST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 12:51 PM, Anand Patil <anand.prabhakar.patil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's my thinking: Gaussian elimination is trivial for sparse upper
> triangular matrices, so I just wrote a wrapper for scipy.linsolve.splu
> that makes sure splu gets an upper triangular matrix by transposing
> the input matrix if necessary. Does this make sense?

When you had originally mentioned sparse triangular solves, I thought
you wanted something more lightweight.

Are you sure that spsolve doesn't already do what you want?  I would
imagine that a reasonably smart LU factorization method would do
little work when given an upper *or* lower triangular system.

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~wnbell/