[SciPy-dev] ANN: Enthought Python Distribution - Beta

John Ollinger ollinger at wisc.edu
Thu Feb 28 13:21:53 EST 2008

I apologize for the tone of my email  - it was the result of late-hours, a
migraine, and memories of past bad experiences.  I spent 3 years in the 80's
writing software for a scanner that was ostensibly developed for use at a
university.  Then the hardware guys formed a company and eventually made
tons of money while the two of us developing software got a one-time shot at
some consulting, $2000 in royalties, (which was exactly equal to the
university's share,) and lost our jobs.   A few years later I inadvertently
bought software that I had written during those three years.  Hence the
paranoia.

The combination of open-source software and for-profit companies do raise
some legitimate questions, so I don't think that it is entirely unreasonable
for people to wonder about this.

John

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 11:18 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:27 PM, John Ollinger <ollinger at wisc.edu> wrote:
> > What exactly is the relationship between Enthought and the scipy
> developers
>
> Enthought employs a few of them, namely Travis Oliphant and myself.
> Enthought, Travis Oliphant, and Pearu Peterson made the initial
> contributions that started the scipy project in the first place.
> Enthought hosts scipy.org. Enthought contributes a fair amount of time
> and money to numpy and scipy development, still.
>
> > and how will it affect future releases of scipy and numpy?
>
> Travis and I will be able to work on them, mostly. What are you
> worried about happening?
>
> > Will scipy
> > evolve to the point where the Enthought version is required for all
> > practical purposes?
>
> No.
>
> --
> Robert Kern