[SciPy-dev] ANN: Enthought Python Distribution - Beta

Travis Vaught travis at enthought.com
Wed Feb 27 22:13:20 EST 2008

Greetings,

Enthought is very excited about our pending wide-release of the
Enthought Python Distribution (EPD).  After much effort, we finally
think we're close to the first non-beta release.  As one more quality
check, we'd love to impose on you guys one more time to try out a just-
minted beta release for Windows (EPD 2.5.2001_beta1) and give us some
feedback.  Any major problems will, of course, be fixed for the next
release, but we're open to any suggestions for improvement for future
releases as well.

http://www.enthought.com/epd

For those of you unfamiliar with EPD, it's a "kitchen-sink-included"
distribution of Python with over 60 additional tools and libraries.
It's bundled into a nice MSI installer on Windows and includes NumPy,
SciPy, IPython, 2D and 3D visualization, database adapters and a lot
of other tools right out of the box.  We'll have support for RedHat
and Mac OS X in a general release very soon.

For academic, non-profit or hobbyist use, EPD is, and will remain,
free.  We are charging an annual subscription for commercial and
governmental access to downloads and updates of EPD.  Downloaded files
may be used indefinitely past the subscription term.  You are welcome
to try out the beta indefinitely, regardless of your commercial/non-
commercial persuasion.  When the final (non-beta) version is released,
commercial folks can try it for 30 days. You can check out the license
terms (http://www.enthought.com/products/epdlicense.php) if you're
interested in the details.

EPD is compelling because it solves a lingering packaging and
distribution problem, but also because of the libraries which it
includes. We owe many folks on this list a debt of gratitude for their
work on some really great tools. So, thanks ... and enjoy!

Best Regards,

Travis N. Vaught