[SciPy-dev] Probs with numpy/scipy on Itanium 64Bit with Intel Compilers with SCSL libs.

Laurence Viry Laurence.Viry at imag.fr
Wed Feb 27 10:47:47 EST 2008

Hello,

David Cournapeau a écrit
> If you could give one of us a shell access to a computer where
> everything is installed to build numpy/scipy on an itanium, it would be
> much easier to solve the problem,

I give you, one access to our computer. I am not in my office these two
following days but you can contact me since monday. If you have a system
problem, you can send a mail to Bruno.Bzeznik at imag.fr

login: cournapd
pass: IfTSMHfo

1. We have two versions of python installed to test scipy installation:
* *one compiled with gcc* (usr/local/stow/Python2.4.4)

* t*he other with the intel compiler* "icc"
(usr/local/stow/Python2.4.4_INTEL)

You have acces on these two directories.

2. I put in your *.bashrc the environment to use the Intel compilers *

3. The *scsl library *(scientific library optimized on our cluster with intel compilers) is in */usr/lib (compiled with Intel Fortran compiler)
*(On Itanium, the install procedure of ATLAS want to use Intel compilers, we can forced it to use Gnu compilers but we obtain bad optimizations)*
*
4. I attached on my mail the file *'site.cfg*' used to install scipy and numpy

4. I attached on my mail a file named *"whatWeHaveDone.txt" *in which I give you again what we have done to install numpy and scipy.

remarks: It seem that it's a bug in the part of program which extract
the intel version compiler. *An additional test is made in
numpy/distutils/command/build_ext.py to test this version *(ifort -V),
there is no version test in numpy/distutils/command/build_clib.py.

I tried to change this test in
/usr/local/stow/Python-2.4.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/distutils/fcompiler/intel.py...but
it doesn't run.

thanks for your help

Laurence Viry

Julien Le Sommer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are working hard to compile scipy on our box. We have already sent
> a post on this list but so far we haven't managed to install scipy
> yet, see :
> http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2007-November/007998.html
> <http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2007-November/007998.html>
>
> here is the problem : we are trying to compile numpy/scipy with
> intel compilers on a box of itanium processors with the SCSL library.
>
> the problem is that both numpy and scipy seem to loose track of the
> fortran compiler configuration during their build_ext phase even though
> this configuration is recognized during the build_clib phase, giving this
> log message.
>
>     customize IntelItaniumFCompiler
>
>     warning: build_ext: f77_compiler=intele is not available.
>

> the prob is the same when python has been compiled with gcc or with
> intel c compiler.
>
> the prob doesn't seems to be related to scsl lib at all but only to
> the handling of intel
> compiler for Itanium .
>
> some help would be much appreciated. In particular, is there a
> Intel/Itanium implementation
> of scipy/numpy somewhere that we could get some information about ?
>

> cheers,
>
> David

Laurence Viry

CRIP UJF - Projet MIRAGE ( http://mirage.imag.fr )
Laboratoire de Modélisation et Calcul - IMAG

tel: 04 76 63 56 34
fax: 04 76 63 12 63
e-mail: Laurence.Viry at imag.fr