[SciPy-dev] umfpack scikit

Robert Cimrman cimrman3 at ntc.zcu.cz
Thu Feb 7 08:34:19 EST 2008

Hi,

I have the first version of the scikit ready but it seems I have not
rights to commit (username 'rc'). Can somebody help please?

Concerning the umfpack files from scipy.splinalg.dsolve, I would let
them in place for some transition period. I will add something like the
code below to linsolve.py:

--
if isUmfpack and noScikit:
     warn( 'scipy.splinalg.dsolve.umfpack has moved, install

The scikit now contains the same code that was in
scipy.splinalg.dsolve.umfpack, I did not include the GPL-ed umfpack
sources. What is your opinion?

1. Let the wrappers BSD and install umfpack libraries separately as it
is now,
2. or include everything and change the scikit license to GPL.

I am more for option 1., as on my system (Gentoo Linux) umfpack
libraries exist as a standard package and the installation is trivial.
This is IMHO true on other systems too. I also like BSD license more for
my code.

r.