[SciPy-dev] scipy.test() abruptly quits on scipy svn 0.7.0.dev5241

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Dec 16 01:32:50 EST 2008

Peter Norton wrote:

> $ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/local/python/lib/libpython2.5.so /lib/ld.so.1
> /usr/local/python-2.5.1/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/sparse/sparsetools/_csr.so
> ld.so.1: _csr.so: fatal: relocation error: file
> /usr/local/python-2.5.1/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/sparse/sparsetools/_csr.so:
> symbol __1cDstdJbad_allocG__vtbl_: referenced symbol not found

Ahh, that rings a bell. IIRC, I could not find anything wrong with
either scipy or numscons; I think it is a bug in the sunstudio compiler
when linking C++ as shared library.

> In a slightly more problematic case, I don't seem to be getting
> dfitpack.so built properly. The symbol "bispeu_" isn't resolved. If
> this is just a library ordering issue, can anyone suggest a proper
> ordering?

The interpolate code has changed recently, it may just be that I have
not kept up the scons scripts.

> I'm happy to provide most of the details of the build environment
> including site.cfg, compiler.cfg, etc. It's possible they are
> problematic, however since the build completes successfully I'm not in
> a position to declare that it *doesn't* work.

As far as I am concerned, the C++ problem is a sunstudio bug, so there
is nothing I can do about it (there are several problems with sun
compilers with shared libraries, at least on the machine I have been
using it on: some flags are ignored, or not set up correctly when the -G
flag is used - I find surprising that something as basic as linking the
sunperf to a shared library does not work, for example).

cheers,

David