[SciPy-dev] Scipy Tutorial (and updating it)

Alan Jackson alan at ajackson.org
Sat Dec 6 13:07:51 EST 2008

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 12:28:13 -0500
jh at physics.ucf.edu wrote:

> I don't expect we'll start on this volume until at least two years
> from now, based on our rate of progress on the docstrings, but I
> propose we use the academic process outlined here.  For our case, we
> don't need to have a commercial publisher (but could, with appropriate
> license), and we can put the chapter drafts online for a public review
> in addition to getting expert reviews.
>
> --jh--

I wonder if O'Reilly would have any interest in helping support such a
project at some level. I've recently been reading the Subversion manual,
which is published online for free (and in paperback) by O'Reilly.
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

I know that O'Reilly has a long history of supporting open-source. Perhaps
a little professional editing could be contributed... There is also (at
least in my mind) a huge degree of legitimacy a project gains when I see
an O'Reilly book. If there is an O'Reilly book it must be real. 8-)

BTW - the forward to the subversion book has some really good ideas in it about
how to write such a manual - in terms of mining user questions for a FAQ sort
of approach on top of the usual exposition.

| Alan K. Jackson            | To see a World in a Grain of Sand      |
| alan at ajackson.org          | And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,         |
| www.ajackson.org           | Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand |
| Houston, Texas             | And Eternity in an hour. - Blake       |