[SciPy-dev] Scipy Tutorial (and updating it)

Alan Jackson alan at ajackson.org
Sat Dec 6 13:12:23 EST 2008

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 11:30:30 -0500
jh at physics.ucf.edu wrote:

> So, I propose the following:
>
> 1. Reserve the name "The SciPy User Guide" for the document I describe
> (whether or not I am involved in creating it).
>
> 2. Call what you describe something like "The SciPy Package Manual"
> that clearly distinguishes it as just being about the package SciPy
> and doesn't say "User Guide".

I agree with the names. To me, when I'm trying to decide which pdf to download
first, I expect a "User Guide" to be an overall exposition for new and
intermediate users, discussing the overall architecture and philosophy, filled
with examples, etc. A "Manual" on the other hand is more for digging into the
details of specific functions.

Alan
| Alan K. Jackson            | To see a World in a Grain of Sand      |
| alan at ajackson.org          | And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,         |
| www.ajackson.org           | Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand |
| Houston, Texas             | And Eternity in an hour. - Blake       |