[SciPy-dev] Scipy Tutorial (and updating it)

Gael Varoquaux gael.varoquaux at normalesup.org
Fri Dec 5 01:09:27 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 08:16:24PM -0500, jh at physics.ucf.edu wrote:
> To expand (only a little, I promise!) on the User Guide, it needs
> chapters on specific numpy topics, starting with the text in the new
> numpy.doc module, and it needs chapters on general topics like
> plotting, 3D visualization, handling datasets, scientific data
> formats, etc.

I think you are talking of a very worthy goal. But I think this is not
the scipy user guide, this would be a book (maybe called "Python in
Science") that would give an introduction to the whole stack, and a
task-oriented approach with an overview of all the core packages.

This book cannot indeed be written by the community, as it requires a
consistent, well-thought, effort. On the other side, the scipy User Guide
is a bit more wikipedia-like. It is a searchable, and organised,
collection of technical documentation of each feature of SciPy, the
library. This can only be written and maintained by the community that
maintains SciPy. Especially since no one person knows SciPy well-enough
to do that.

My 2 cents,

Gaël