[SciPy-dev] Scipy Tutorial (and updating it)

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Thu Dec 4 09:01:41 EST 2008

On 12/4/2008 4:39 AM Gael Varoquaux apparently wrote:
> I don't agree. Long HTML pages are bad practice, every web designer will
> tell you that (http://webstyleguide.com/page/length.html,
> http://www.astrodigital.org/digital/shortvslongpages.html,
> http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/biggest-mistakes-in-web-design-1995-2015.html
> - 10 ...).
> The good rule should be: one subject by pages, pages a few screen long
> maximum.

I think this gets into areas of "true belief".
My view is that an adequately linked single
HTML document can be just as useful or more useful
than a broken up document.  Example: the NumPy
Example List is much more useful if we can search
nicely across all the examples, which requires a single
page document.

That said, there is no reason by broken up HTML document
requires a broken up reST source.  Just write each
section to a separate file, with appropriate headers.
I think the rst2html writer used to support that out
of the box, although I'm not positive.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac