[SciPy-dev] tagging 0.7rc1 this weekend?

Michael Abshoff michael.abshoff at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 3 18:55:26 EST 2008

David Cournapeau wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:31 AM, Charles سمير Doutriaux
> <doutriaux1 at llnl.gov> wrote:
>> Hi David,

Hi,

>> I am compiling my own python.
>
> I thought the problem was that since numpy compiler flags come from
> the ones used to build python, when using distutils, there was a
> discrepency between python and numpy:
>
> python -c "from distutils import sysconfig; print
> sysconfig.get_config_vars('CFLAGS')"
>
> Will tell you which compiler flags have been used for python.
>
> But it seems that the problem is a bit more subtle: -no-cpp-precomp is
> an Apple-specific flag, and the gcc you are using is more than likely
> not the Apple one (since its version is 4.3, and AFAIK, no
> apple-distributed gcc has such a high version, at least for released
> OS). This may be a bug in python configure, which unconditionally uses
> this option. If that's the case, I am afraid there is no easy solution
> to your problem.

I ran into the same problem with Python 2.5.2 on OSX when using a
non-XCode gcc. The hackish solution is to delete those flags from the
configure script since they are hardcoded as David mentions. Then Python
2.5.2 build and worked fine in 32 and 64 bit mode on OSX 10.5.

David: do you know if the problem with hard coded flags on OSX was ever
reported upstream? I am not a Python 2.6 user, so I have not tried that
version to see if it has been fixed.

> David

Cheers,

Michael