[SciPy-dev] TOMS 526 license?

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Tue Aug 12 18:25:56 EDT 2008

I noticed that code from ACM TOMS 526 was added to a branch in the Scipy
repository.

This may be a silly question, but I'll ask it just to be on the safe
side: in case this code is going to eventually land in Scipy proper, did
you check the ACM license conditions? It says here:

	http://toms.acm.org/Authors.html#CopyrightandUseAgreement

that the TOMS codes fall by default under the ACM license, which is not
really either BSD or GPL compatible. (Unfortunately, the netlib.org codes
don't carry a license blurb...) Or has the situation for 526 been
otherwise arranged, or was the situation different in 1978 when it was
published?

--
Pauli Virtanen