[SciPy-dev] WTFM!

Joe Harrington jh at physics.ucf.edu
Tue Aug 5 15:52:00 EDT 2008

> I must get one of those t-shirts!

Welcome aboard, Janet!  One of the wiki crew will set you up.

Check out the review criteria on the wiki, and go to it.  We're
distinguishing between review and proof because the content may change
significantly in review, so mainly focus on 1) technical
correctness/completeness and 2) readability to a non-expert when you
review.  We want eacj doc to be complete for an expert but accessible
to someone one notch below the minimum math needed to understand a
topic.  For example, FFTs are generally taught in the middle of
college, so a math-savvy college freshman should be able to read the
FFT page and the page should spend an early sentence or two (and no
more) in the notes telling in general what an FFT is or is for.  This
also means that certain pages need to be accessible at the high-school
level, such as the glossary and most of the np.doc package.

We've tried to keep review and revision separate, so the reviewers
generally don't make the changes they suggest.  Someone who makes
changes is a writer for that page and someone else needs to review
those changes.  Every word gets read by two heads!  That said, you may
find you make the best contribution cleaning up some of our writing
rather than commenting on it.  Given your expertise, if you disagree
with any of the review criteria or procedures, do say so.

--jh--