[SciPy-dev] Status of sandbox.spline and my other code.

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Sat Apr 26 11:57:47 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 1:56 AM, John Travers <jtravs at gmail.com> wrote:
>   The code in sandbox.spline should be a complete replacement for the
>   code in scipy.interpolate.fitpack and fitpack2 including the f2py
>   wrappers of the fitpack fortran code (i.e. replacing the hand crafted
>   c wrappers). Apart from using only f2py, a number of improvements were
>   made to the docstrings and error checking and some bugs fixed and
>   quite a few unit tests added.
>
>   Originally I was advocating that we have a separate spline package
>   with the fitpack stuff and a separate interpolate package that can
>   utilise either the spline or rbf of delaunay etc. packages as these
>   can all be used for more than just interpolation. This didn't seem to
>   gain any traction on the mailing list, so I left it. I would still
>   advocate this, but recognise the reasons that people might not want to
>   expand the number of packages so much.
>
>   I left this code about a year ago and then got bogged down with my
>   thesis work which I finished a few weeks back. If they
>   code/improvements might be used then I can find the time this week to
>   check it is all working and still up to date. Then I could either
>   supply a set of patches against the main interpolate code which could
>   be more easily understood, or provide a mercurial/bzr branch for
>   someone else to merge from (if the bzr/mercurial stuff is setup yet).
>
>   Let me know if that might be useful. There are also further things
>   that were on my todo list for interpolate, including using
>   RectBivariateSPline where possible as it is much better for
>   interpolation than the currently used surfit. (I have a unit test
>   which segfaults the current code, but not teh RectBivariateSpline
>   code).

Hey John,

I would like to see you move forward on this.  I am not sure that you
need to create patches or a bzr/mecurial branch.  Why not just commit
to the trunk.  That way it will be much simpler for everyone to test
you changes.  If there is some problem, we can always just fix them or
back them out.  I assume you have commit rights, since your code is in
the scipy sandbox.

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman