[SciPy-dev] Inclusion of cython code in scipy

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 14:34:31 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan at sun.ac.za> wrote:
> 2008/4/25 Nathan Bell <wnbell at gmail.com>:
>
> >  Replacing exisiting Python/C/C++ code with Cython is my only objection.
>
>  Just to be clear: do you think using the raw NumPy and Python C API is
>  easier and cleaner than using Cython?

That's a false dichotomy.  I think writing useful C/C++ libraries and
then interfacing them w/ SWIG/Cython or handwritten wrappers is a more
sustainable and safer approach.

IMO separating the wrappers from the implementation is a good idea.
Wrapping C code, especially C code that was written in a way conducive
to wrapping, is not difficult.  This holds true for SWIG/Cython/flavor
of the week.

Nathan Bell wnbell at gmail.com
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~wnbell/