[SciPy-dev] Inclusion of cython code in scipy

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 16:08:39 EDT 2008

Hi,

>  And if it's a bad choice, can we blame you for deflecting valid
>  criticism in favor of a wait-and-see approach?

Of course!

>  It's irresponsible to continue promoting an unproven technology like
>  Cython without first addressing these concerns.

But that's the point - I'm not promoting it - I mean - I think it's
exciting stuff - but it doesn't matter what I think, what matters is
whether people find use for it.  It would be complete madness to make
a set policy of rewriting everything in cython right now - of course -
but that's not the suggestion - I don't think it's anyone's
suggestion.  It also seems severe to say that we're not going to
accept any cython code until - well - until when?

I'm sorry, really, if I'm being offensive, I don't mean to be - at
all.  I think Stefan's right - there will be times when a carefully
designed C++ library with python wrappers is the right thing to do,
and other times when dipping into C in an easy flexible way is the
right thing to do.  Don't you think?

Best,

Matthew