[SciPy-dev] Inclusion of cython code in scipy

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 14:54:18 EDT 2008

Hi,

>  For example, I have heard numerous statements about how incredibly
>  slow SWIG wrappers are ("because the top layer is pure Python").  This
>  may be true, on the other hand it may not be true.  It may be true
>  only for some applications and not for others.  Ultimately, the burden
>  of proof is on the Cython proponents to provide supporting evidence
>  for their claims.  Once we have this evidence we can make an informed
>  decision about how to proceed.

But, it seems to me that no-one is going to use cython much if it's
not obviously useful.  It's the usual open-source idea of allowing
people to try tools if they fit - actual contributions of code to
answer the question.  I don't think cython needs to make an argument,
nor do I think it commands blind allegiance.  It's just going to be
one of those tools that looks very promising, and will show its worth
if people find they like using it and move towards it. And if, in
practice, it creates good maintainable, readable code.  We'll know
it's good, if that happens.  We'll know it's not good, if it doesn't.
And if it is good, it is very likely to survive and flourish.  ctypes
all over again, no?

Best,

Matthew