[SciPy-dev] Inclusion of cython code in scipy

Alan McIntyre alan.mcintyre at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 02:33:39 EDT 2008

I suppose I should say hello, so Hi, everybody! :)

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 9:21 PM, Bruce Southey <bsouthey at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Surely Alan McIntyre's project (Cython-based enhancements to NumPy:
>  http://code.google.com/soc/2008/psf/appinfo.html?csaid=CDEB395EBA2BB1D8
>  ) for Google of Summer Code will be a result in a maintained base for
>  everyone who wants to include it.

I tend to agree with Anne and Robert; there should be some
demonstrably significant advantage before adding a bunch of Cython to
the SciPy codebase, and I'm not a big fan of checking in generated
code if it can be helped.  If it turns out that Cython is not the
correct tool for the job, then I think there's enough leeway in the
GSoC guidelines to allow me to contribute something useful to SciPy
without using Cython.

I believe that the indexing improvement Anne listed is on Dag's list
of things to do for his project, by the way.  (Even if I'm remembering
incorrectly and it's not, maybe we can talk him into it. :)

Cheers,
Alan