[SciPy-dev] FTBFS on Debian

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 07:36:43 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 6:22 AM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>  >
>  > This problem is almost always caused by LDFLAGS being set. LDFLAGS
>  > *overrides* all of the Fortran link flags.
>  >
>  >

>  That's what I thought first, but then why gcc still uses -shared ? Why
>  only gfortran ?

As we've discussed before, this overriding behavior only exists
because we need some way to override Fortran compiler flags since the
code will always be a little bit out of date with respect to the
various new versions of the Fortran compilers that we support. C
extensions are left alone because the link flags are almost always
correct because the C compiler is almost always the one used to build
Python itself.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."