[SciPy-dev] Add bz2 support to io.mmio [not tested] <--

Christopher Burns cburns at berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 11 04:16:52 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Pearu Peterson <pearu at cens.ioc.ee> wrote:

> While I strongly agree with the importance of unittests, we should not
> be too bureaucratic too, imho, because it can crush down creativity
> which is also important. So, we need to move forward along a middle
> ground.

Or move forward on a Distributed VCS ground?  Seems to me like this is a
case where Pearu could branch the code and work with Nils in there until the
code met the "Scipy Standard" including documentation and tests, and then
merge and push to the main trunk.

Pearu is correct in that we want this sort of creativity/development to
happen, but we lack an appropriate mechanism for it to happen in.  The main
scipy trunk could contain only tested, documented, and reviewed code, but
exploratory code could still happen in branches.  (A sandbox region that
doesn't clutter up the user-space.)

I'm new to bzr, am I correct that this would be easier to do in bzr (or hg)?

Obviously, this is a trivial example, 5 lines of code (maybe 30 if you
include additional docs and tests), but the sort of thing that will continue
to happen with larger code.

Chris