[SciPy-dev] Add bz2 support to io.mmio [not tested] <--

Ondrej Certik ondrej at certik.cz
Thu Apr 10 12:58:30 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Pearu Peterson <pearu at cens.ioc.ee> wrote:
> On Thu, April 10, 2008 3:01 pm, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>  > Pearu,
>  >
>  > Why do checkins like these even happen?
>  >
>  > 04:03 Changeset [4125] by pearu
>  >     Add bz2 support to io.mmio [not tested]
>  >
>  > I appreciate that you labelled the test deficiency, but what now?  Are
>  > you going to add the test, or was the message meant as a reminder to
>  > someone else?
>
>  Have you followed the thread
>
>   http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-dev/2008-April/008804.html
>
>  ? The changeset is there because a user asked a feature. Adding
>  this feature was trivial, testing it is not so because it requires certain
>  input that I don't have at hand. There is a request for the user to check
>  if the feature works.
>
>  I don't see harm in such patches, it does not break anything,
>  and there is potential user who can confirm if the feature works or not.

One should follow the Zen of Python:

Now is better than never.
Although never is often better than *right* now.

So in this particular case, I think Pearu is right, because he fixed
that now instead of never and in this case I think never is not better
than *right* now, considering that he would contribute a test once
Robert says if it works or not.

However, as to running tests -- are you against fixing the tests or
scipy, so that it doesn't print such a garbage, like this?

...cswap:n=4
..cswap:n=3
.....daxpy:n=4
..daxpy:n=3
....dcopy:n=4
..dcopy:n=3
....dswap:n=4
..dswap:n=3

If not, I'll keep it in mind if I find some free afternoon.

Ondrej