[SciPy-dev] Google Summer of Code and scipy.learn (another trying)

Anton Slesarev slesarev.anton at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 17:36:11 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 7:21 AM, Yaroslav Halchenko <lists at onerussian.com>
wrote:

> Hi Anton
>
> Thank you for the interest in PyMVPA ;-) Indeed PyMVPA itself might be
> not the best basis to jump off for scikits.learn since we see
> PyMVPA more of a framework, not a toolbox. As I said earlier, on the
> other hand some ideas might be borrowed from PyMVPA. Please don't take
> me wrong -- if you think that PyMVPA looks like a good starting point to
> develop on -- that is cool, you are welcome to the team. On the other
> hand, if you develop .learn independently we will be interested into
> migrating some of functionality into wider-audience .learn and just rely
> on importing .learn internally within PyMVPA

I have no enough experience to solve what could be the best jump point for
scikits.learn, but as I understand from David's and Jarrod's post they have
some ideas to integrate PyMVPA.
And if some mentor from scikits want to deal with me in format of google
summer of code, I'll should to take into account their work. If you want to
talk with me about my partisipation in this I'll happy to talk with you. But
if there will not mentors who want to occupie with me I'am not going to
write it sooner than end of summer. And I hope that by that time some
structure of package will have clarified. Ok, write your contact and cosy
time for you i'll trie to find place to talk with you. (skype is not my
usally way of communication.)

> May be we could have some quick (or not so quick) chit chat (voice via
> skype or any other voip + VNC screen) some time next week. There is
> additional discussion happening on exppsy-pymvpa mailing list which you
> are welcome to join as well
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/pkg-exppsy-pymvpa
>
> With best regards
> Yaroslav
>
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Anton Slesarev wrote:
> >    Main problem how to connect it with your idea to use PyMVPA. I don't
> >    think that it is a good idea to duplicate its functionality. But I
> hope
> >    we can find approach to cooperate without writing useless code.
> >    I hope you find mentor who want to take this application.
> --
>                                   .-.

Anton Slesarev