[SciPy-dev] problems with numpy.setuptools("single_version_externally_managed")

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Sep 26 03:00:31 EDT 2007

Pearu Peterson wrote:

> Actually, there exist a simple and proper fix (as usual;):
>
> numpy ccompiler.py should check if distutils.msvccompiler is
> imported (via sys.modules). If it is, then set
>
>    distutils.msvccompiler.gen_lib_options = <our gen_lib_options>

But is this the only case where setuptools and numpy.distutils rewrite
some classes ? I am just a bit afraid that modifying runtime objects
both in numpy.distutils and setuptools will cause other problems in the
near future (my impression is that it is safe to assume setuptools will
become part of the standard library in python at some point, and we will
have to cope with it).

cheers,

David