[SciPy-dev] Forwarded message: RE: Algorithm License requested

dmitrey openopt at ukr.net
Mon Sep 17 15:56:34 EDT 2007

Alan G Isaac wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2007, Rob Falck apparently wrote:
>
>> Well that's good news.  I have a decent wrapper for SLSQP
>> implemented, although I still need to implement constraint
>> gradient passing.  I'm pretty new to Scipy development.
>> Would this be better left in scipy.optimize or openopt?
>>

> Unless some other opinion is expressed, can you please
> discuss with Dmitrey how best to move this into OpenOpt?
>
> Cheers,
> Alan Isaac

Noone contacted me yet, but I have some things to explain.
1st, should the func be connected to openopt, then it should have same
to TOMLAB syntax, that is very complicated:
http://tomopt.com/docs/OC_QUICKGUIDE.pdf
So it will require too much time for me (as well as learning OC
problems, I'm not familiar with the ones, however, I know here are some
people in Ukraine researching the ones).
2nd, OC problems are much more complicated then finite-dimensional ones
(like ordinary NLP, LP, QP etc are), and solving of the ones usually
requires much more cputime (and func calls), hance objective funcs
written in Python will require much more time to calculate argmin, and I
guess that's why Python was not used widely for solving OCPs.
3rd, I have too small time that I can devote to openopt development for
now, and I'm busy with enhancing my lincher  (I hope to make some issues
from the one to my dissertation, time left is too short) and some other
problems.
So I can't implement the thing at least in nearest future.
Maybe someone wants to connect that one to scipy.optimize, since it has
BSD license?
Regards, D.