[SciPy-dev] new tagged release (SciPy 0.6.0)

Jarrod Millman millman at berkeley.edu
Sun Sep 16 04:26:33 EDT 2007

On 9/16/07, David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Ok, I am just a bit confused about what a tag is: is it just a snapshot
> of one revision ? So for the ashigabou repository, should I use the
> sources from there, or does a tag "tracks" change ?

A tag is basically another name for a release.  The idea is that
development takes place on the trunk.  Once we are getting ready for a
release, I create a release branch.  In this case, I made a 0.6.x
release branch.  Only important bug-fixes should be made to the 0.6.x
release branch.  Once we are ready to make a release, I tag (or label)
the release.  In this case, I tagged the release 0.6.0.  The 0.6.0 tag
is a static snapshot and should not be modified.  So if it turns out
that there are some important bugs that we would like to fix in the
0.6.x release series, we would apply them to the 0.6.x release branch.
 Once we are ready for another stable release in the 0.6.x series, I
would create another tag from the 0.6.x release branch.  Continuing
with the example, I would tag this release 0.6.1.

I have started to document the process here:
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/wiki/MakingReleases

Hope this helps,

--
Jarrod Millman