[SciPy-dev] scipy mainpage lacks visits counter and "donate" button

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 13:29:23 EDT 2007

dmitrey wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>> dmitrey wrote:
>>
>>> hi all,
>>> don't you think scipy mainpage lacks visits counter and "donate" button?
>>>
>> Not really. We (Enthought) host the server, so we have all of the logs we need
>> to track visits.
> It would be interesting for all users, not only Enthought workers

Yes, of course. The point is that we don't have to stick a counter anywhere to
get this information; just ask us, and we'll try to get the numbers.

>>  As for a donation button, where would the money go?
>>
> It's 100% your decision.

No, it isn't. While I talk a lot, I am not the scipy project, nor is Enthought.
Donation buttons work well for projects driven by a single developer, one small
company, or a larger foundation. When there is a group of developers who don't
have organizational ties outside of the project, it's really unclear what
purpose the money serves. Usually, the donations are too little to do much
except partially pay for web hosting, and Enthought is already taking care of
that. They're not going to be enough to support development.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco