[SciPy-dev] Illegal instruction in ndimage test

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 05:37:38 EDT 2007

Hi,

On 10/19/07, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Yes, sure, arrays of function pointers are nothing unusual. But for some
> > time, I was really wondering how could a preprocessor symbol refer to
> > itself (it did not, it was just a function). I still do not understand
> > how a function pointer can generate invalid opcode (the error message
> > seems to appear only with gcc 4.2, not with 4.1, which is still really
> > common), though.
>
> Well, simply deleting those #define lines allow the code to compile
> without warnings and all the tests pass.  Can anyone who understands
> this better than me have a guess as to whether deleting these lines
> will have some adverse effect I am not anticipating?

Well - I will assume that the lines were trying to solve some obscure
compiler incompatibility, and delete them in SVN this evening, in the
hope that either a) no-one has any problems or b) we find the previous
problem and fix it in a better way.  Please someone let me know if
they think that's a bad idea.

Matthew