[SciPy-dev] sparse eigensolvers

crwe crwe crwe at post.cz
Thu Oct 11 08:23:17 EDT 2007

Hello all,

what is the current status of scipy support for algorithms such as eigenvalue decomposition on (very large) sparse matrices? I remember looking at scipy some time ago and it seemed to be in the state of 'if you do it, we will include it'. By 'it', I mean wrapping some existing libraries such as PROPACK, ARPACK etc. to work transparently with scipy (and scipy.sparse in particular).

The reason I'm asking is that I have a student who would be interested in working on this topic (as his bachelor thesis). Please let me know how things stand from a broader perspective/planning point of view and what could still be done. I found some earlier replies in this mailing list which concerned the topic, but they seemed to deal more with details&particulars. Still, I'll be thankful for any links,

cheers,
Radim