[SciPy-dev] adopting Python Style Guide for classes

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Tue Oct 2 14:40:56 EDT 2007

On Oct 2, 2007, at 1:24 PM, Jarrod Millman wrote:

> So far, there is Universal support for the basic idea of conforming to
> the Python Style Guide.  Since it should effect the user API, we have

I'm somewhat startled to see this. Perhaps my memory is very bad, but
I seem to recall that there was an explicit decision in the past not
to use the Python conventions for class names. The reason I recall
was that scientists and engineers don't like them (or something like
that). I also recall that this was a strongly held opinion by some
very influential in the scipy effort ;-)

Mind you, I wasn't one of those that felt that strongly about it, but
do realize that the people that are voting here are not your typical
users. So before this is considered a "universal" opinion, I'd like
to see some of those that made the decision the other way bless it
(and some rationale for the switch that addresses the original
decision).

Eric, Travis, what say you?

Perry