[SciPy-dev] Scipy-dev Digest, Vol 49, Issue 14

Anand Patil anand.prabhakar.patil at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 15:02:23 EST 2007

> > Apologies for cross-posting- this one seems to have fallen through the
> > cracks on scipy-user, maybe this is a better place to send it.
> >
> > Is there a set of python-callable sparse BLAS out there yet? I haven't
> > found one, and not for lack of Googling. I'm willing to work on
> > swigging a library if the need exists, but would like some guidance
> > from someone with more experience with these things.
> >
> > First, it looks like there are three implementations that would be
> > good for this purpose:
> >
> > - NIST sparse BLAS
> > - SparseLib++ (superseded by above?)
> > - Boost's ublas with sparse template parameters.
> >
> > Questions:
> > - Do I need to do this, or are wrappers already available?
> > - If so, which library would be best? I lean toward Boost, just
> > because it's so broadly templatized that scripting a wrapper for all
> > all the sparse-sparse and sparse-dense versions should be relatively
> > easy.
> > - What should the calling conventions from Python be like?
> > - Any other pointers? (things I should know about numpy.i, for example).
>
> Have you tried scipy.sparse?
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/browser/trunk/scipy/sparse

Of course, and it's great for general sparse matrices but I didn't see
anything in there for triangular matrices. I didn't see anything in linsolve
either, though quite a bit could no doubt be extracted from SuperLU.

Also, I just like working with the BLAS rather than higher-level interfaces
when it's code that I'm going to reuse, so as to have more control over when
things get overwritten as opposed to copied, etc.

Anand