[SciPy-dev] Machine learning datasets (was Presentation of pymachine, a python package for machine learning)

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed May 30 21:18:29 EDT 2007

Bruce Southey wrote:
> Hi,
> You might find the UCI Machine Learning Repository a useful resource for data:
> http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mlearn/MLRepository.html
>
> Standard sources are:
> Statlib: http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/
> Netlib: http://www.netlib.org/
>
> Even with those included with R may be used because some are in public domain.
The main problem of datasets seem to be license. For example, you say
that some of the datasets in R are public domain: do you know which ones
(how do you know ? I looked for informations on this issue, without any
luck). For all I know, the datasets (at least the ones in R core) are
under the GPL.

cheers,

David