[SciPy-dev] Presentation of pymachine, a python package for machine learning

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmx.net
Tue May 15 20:45:51 EDT 2007

David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> writes:

>    - For people willing to use machine learning related software in
> python/scipy, what are the main requirements/concern ? (eg Data
> exploration GUI, efficiency, readability of the algorithms, etc...)

In order of priority: robustness, readability and efficiency.

Obviously very gross inefficiencies are a show-stopper, but on the whole I'd
rather see fine-tuning effort go into things like numerical robustness etc.
first.

P.S. Are you aware of Bishop's new book? Just because in your references you
IIRC mention his Neural Networks one favorably, and I think you might be
rather interested in his "pat.rec. and machine learning" if you haven't seen
it yet.

cheers

'as