[SciPy-dev] Google Summer of Code 2007

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 02:56:26 EST 2007

On 3/9/07, Jarrod Millman <millman at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I was wondering if Enthought would be interested in signing up as a
> mentor organization:
> http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-announce/web/gsoc-mentor-organization-application-how-to
> It is a fair amount of work.
>
> Fernando Perez explained that PSF wants to focus on core Python
> development this year.  More specifically after google tells them how
> many slots they get, the PSF plans to reserve a certain number of
> slots set aside specifically for core projects.  Given the increase in
> interest in the summer of code, the PSF may not have many slots for
> scientific python.

As a side note, W. Stein just mentioned he has applied for SAGE to be
a sponsor organization.  If SAGE is accepted, at least there will be
some guaranteed funding for python-related scientific projects through
that.  I still think it would be probably a good idea for Scipy to
play as well, because I'm afraid that otherwise we'll be elbowed out
from the PSF tent.

Since we can't wait to know what the situation will be (the
applications for sponsor organizations are due very soon, since
they'll reply with final results on the 14th).

I should mention that ipython /may/ be able to squeeze in under the
PSF, given how (despite being hosted at scipy.org), it's a project
with a wide enough audience that we may be able to get a PSF slot.
But I doubt that 3 or 4 scipy projects would be available.

Obviously for this to work there would need to be:

1. Interest from the scipy core team
2. Sufficient mentors for various possible projects.

Regards