[SciPy-dev] I can't find howto get exp(x) or a^x in NumPy_for_Matlab_Users page

Anne Archibald peridot.faceted at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 12:07:43 EDT 2007

On 28/06/07, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> > also, I think that things like norm, expm, etc should be in numpy, not
> > (or not only) in numpy.linalg
>
> No. As much as possible, we want to keep numpy to the core business of providing
> an array datatype. We wouldn't even have numpy.linalg or numpy.fft if we didn't
> have to provide backwards compatibility for Numeric and numarray, which included
> such capabilities.

Can we mark numpy.fft and numpy.linalg as deprecated, then? There are
regularly posts from people confused about whether to use numpy.linalg
or scipy.linalg and unclear on the difference. I know I was confused
about it on occasion.

Or, put another way, how long are we going to have this awkward
backwards-compatibility cruft?

Thanks,
Anne M. Archibald