[SciPy-dev] Timetable for 0.5.3 release?

Ed Schofield edschofield at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 15:55:43 EDT 2007

On 5/28/07, Travis Oliphant <oliphant.travis at ieee.org> wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:
> >> Perhaps we should move to a timetable-based release schedule for scipy?
> >> Every three months, release the current svn version. Also making a
> >> release after a numpy release is a good idea, so that the current
> >> versions work with each other.
> >>
> > As the scipy community seems to be growing, and as Travis wanted to have
> > a release manager for scipy, what about adopting a scheme similar to
> > bzr, which seems to work fine for them: having a different release
> > manager for each release ? Not that this is against having a timetable,
> >

> Here, Here.  The releases are slow in coming only because it seems to be
> entirely relying on my finding time for them.
>
> I would like to see more code move from the sandbox into the scipy
> namespace.  I am currently working on the interpolation module to
> enhance the number of ways in which you can do interpolation using
> B-splines (the basic functionality is in fitpack, but sometimes I can't
> make sense of what it is doing with the knot points --- there is a lot
> less flexibility then there could be).
>
> I would also like to see the netcdf library in scipy.io be able to write
> netcdf files.  Currently it can only read them.   I was hoping to be
> able to do this before the release, but I've run out of time.

I've been hiding under a rock for a while, but I'd be happy to
volunteer to do a 0.5.3 release whenever everybody's ready. The
current SciPy release doesn't build against the current NumPy, which I
suppose we should fix ;)

*But* NumPy 1.0.3 still has the setup.py bug (fixed by Pearu in r3848)
that prevents SciPy from compiling. So we really need a new NumPy
release first. Is this on the horizon?

-- Ed