[SciPy-dev] Is it ok to depend on ctypes for scipy code ?

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 14:27:26 EDT 2007

> >     Subject says it all. Is is ok to depends on ctypes for scipy code,
> > or should the implementation be optional with a python fallback ?
>
> I'd prefer not to depend on ctypes. More specifically, I'd prefer not to worry
> about building or finding non-extension shared libraries.

Given the facts that i) ctypes now comes with python2.5 and ii) that
ctypes is proving itself to be extremely useful for wrapping C-code,
it seems like a shame to not be able to utilize ctypes for scipy code.
 I do understand the issue with having dependencies on external shared
libraries that need to be built.  But, is there a reasonable way of
addressing this problem that would open the door for using ctypes in
scipy?

Brian